Earlier last week I stumbled across heathenvegans blog and found these: http://heathenandvegan.blogspot.com/2010/07/vegan-spinach-empanada.html
I couldn’t stop thinking about them so I made them for dinner last night and again this afternoon. First time around I followed the directions exactly and altered the recipe slightly. I would advise not chilling the dough as I found it harder to work with. Make your veggies first and leave to cool as you make the dough. Below is my version of the recipe, the crust turns out super crispy and melts in your mouth!!!
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 6 good size crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 leek, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dulse flakes
- garlic salt
- 1/4 block FYH Monterey Jack, small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup maragine
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, mushroom and peppers, season with pepper and garlic salt, cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and leeks, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and dulse, cover and reduce heat to low. Let sit under spinach is wilted.
- Take veggies off heat, remove lid and allow to cool. (add cheese to mixture right before spooning onto dough.)
- While veggies are cooling mix flour, garlic salt, onion powder and margarine until crumbly.
- Slowly add water until dough forms, add ing more fllour if needed.
- Roll out fairly thin on counter and cut out circular sections. (I used a becel lid like a cookie cutter.)
- Lay out circles on counter and spoon a large tablespoon into each.
- Slightly wet the edge of one half and press together starting in the middle working outward.
- Flatten the edge all around and then crimp between your fingers for a pretty scalloped edge.
- Arrange on baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes @ 400 degrees.